, author: Ermakova M.

After the victory over Senegal, the British are waiting for a confrontation

The game against the Africans was not a cakewalk for the wards of Gareth Southgate, but they caught the courage - and went on.

The winner of group "B" is the England team and the second team of group "A" is the national team of Senegal. It seems that in this pair of 1/8 finals of the World Cup in Qatar, everything was clear even before the starting whistle. The British won confidently in their quartet, scoring 7 points: a goalless draw with the United States and confident victories over Iran and Wales. Yes, sometimes the “lions” played too academically, but if they managed to score, then the players caught the courage and looked bright.

As for the Senegalese, having beaten Ecuador in the third round, they secured the second place in the group with six points.

The beginning of the match turned out to be for the British, they pressed and arranged passages to the gates of the Senegalese, they owned the ball a lot. But by the middle of the half, the game calmed down, and this allowed the African team to create a truly dangerous moment: Boulaye Dia received the ball in the center of the penalty area, but he was prevented from breaking through by the Stones. The ball bounced to Sarr, who from outside the goalkeeper sent it over the goal.

Dia had a scoring chance. He saved the ball from going into touch, played on Sarr and ran into the penalty area to open. The idea worked, Dia shot from seven meters under Pickford's arm, but the goalkeeper did it.

But there were scoring chances at other gates. At the end of the half, Luke Shaw launched an attack on the left flank, then Kane gave a pawn against the line of defense of the Senegalese. Bellingham entered the box from the left and rolled to Henderson in the center, who sent the ball into the goal with a touch.

Already in stoppage time, the British doubled the lead. The Senegalese made a mistake on someone else's half of the field, and the England team fled to the counterattack. Bellingham played on Foden, who brought a clear pass to Kane at a rendezvous with Mendy, and he struck right in the center – 2:0.

Well, in the third half, the British brought the score to devastating. Kane fought for the ball with two opponents, after which Foden accelerated on the left flank, Koulibaly, who received the ball, made a chamber in the goalkeeper area. There he was received by Saka, who was left without the opponent's guardianship, and sent the ball into the far corner - 3:0.

After the third goal, it seemed that the Senegal national team was finishing the match. There were no sharp approaches to the Pickford Gate. But the British could still increase the score. Substitute Rashford had the most dangerous moment: Grealish connected Shaw to the attack, who threw the ball to the far post, where he almost scored in the fall from under Ballo Tour. A bit lacking in accuracy.

The final whistle fixed the fact: the Africans are finishing their performance in Qatar, and the British will fight for a place in the 1/2 finals with geographical neighbors - the French team. The match will take place on December 10 at 22:00 Moscow time.

Match protocol

England - Senegal - 3:0 (2:0)

December 4th. El-Hawr. El Bayt Stadium.

Referee - Barton (El Salvador).

England: Pickford, Walker, Shaw, Stones (Dyer 77), Maguire, Rice, Henderson (Phillips 82), Bellingham (Mount 76), Saka (Rashford 65), Foden (Grealish 65), Kane.

Senegal: E. Mendy, Jacobs (Ballo-Toure, 84), Diallo, Coulibaly, Sabali, N. Mendy, Ciss (Guyet, 46), Diatta (Sarr, 46), Sarr, Dia (Dieudiou, 72), Ndiaye ( Dieng, 46).

Goals: 1:0 Henderson (38), 2:0 Kane (45+3), 3:0 Saka (57).

Warned - Koulibaly (76).